Extreme natural coastal phenomena, such as tsunamis, storm surges and extreme ocean waves cause coastal disasters. For the purposes of protecting coastal areas, we develop and improve physical and numerical models of these phenomena and investigate design methods of coastal structures against the extreme forces. Moreover, global warming effects on climate change, sea level rises and intensified typhoons are expected to increase the coastal disasters. Our current research subjects are as follows:
1) Long-term assessment of coastal disasters due to global warming.
2) Tsunami prediction and assessment of tsunami countermeasures.
3) Modeling of winds and waves.
4) Modeling of storm surges.
5) Reliability and performance based design of coastal structures.