Fukushima Earthquake on 16 March, 2022
An earthquake of Mj7.4 occurred at 23:36 on 16 March, 2022 at locat time (UTC: 14:36, 16 March), with the epicenter in the off Fukushima, Japan. The depth of the hypocenter is estimated to be about 57 km.
Fukushima Earthquake on 13th Feb., 2021
A significant earthquake of Mj7.3 occurred off the coast of Fukushima Prefecture at 23:08 on February 13, 2021 at locat time (UTC: 14:08, Feb. 13). The depth of the epicenter is estimated to be about 60km.
Typhoon Hagibis, 2019
Typhoon Hagibis crossed the Japanese Islands from 12 to 13, October 2019, and brought record‐breaking rainfall and strong wind. This typhoon induced river floods and landslides in eastern Japan and caused tremendous.
Analysis of the Arson Fire in the 1st Studio of Kyoto Animation on 18 July, 2019
The Arson Fire in the 1st Studio of Kyoto Animation was occurred on the morning of 18 July 2019. The arson killed at least 36 people, injured an additional 33, and destroyed most of the materials and computers in Studio 1.
Heavy rain of July, 2018
In late June through mid-July 2018, successive heavy downpours in southwestern Japan resulted in widespread, devastating floods and mudflows.
2018 Osaka earthquake
On 18 June 2018, around 7:58 a.m. Japan Standard Time, an earthquake measuring 5.6 Mw on the moment magnitude scale (preliminary 5.5 Mw) struck in northern Osaka Prefecture, Japan. The earthquake’s epicenter was near Takatsuki and occurred at a depth of approximately 13 kilometres. The Japan Meteorological Agency registered a magnitude of 6.1 Mj.
Northern Kyushu heavy rain 2017
From 5th to 6th July 2017, warm, very moist air flowed towards the Baiu front that stagnated near the Tsushima Strait.
The rain fell violently in the same place due to the influence. As a result, we had a record rain in the northern part of Kyushu.
Earthquake South island, New Zealand on Nov. 13th, 2016
At 00:02, Nov. 14th, 2016 at local time (UTC: 20:02, Nov. 13th), significant earthquake event occured in the southern island of New Zealand.
The 2016 Kumamoto Earthquake
On April 14th, 2016 at 9:26 pm (Local Time), a strong earthquake (Magnitude 6.5) occurred in the Kumamoto area of Kyushu, followed by the second one (Magnitude 7.3) on April 16th, 2016 at 1:25 am.
- 平成28年（2016年）熊本地震（Research Center for Earthquake Prediction）
- 現地調査結果と観測強震動の分析に基づく益城町役場周辺の被害集中の原因に関する考察(Research Division of Disaster Management for Safe and Secure Society)
- 平成28年熊本地震で大加速度を記録したKiK-net益城（KMMH16）の記録について，水平上下スペクトル比やボアホール比の解析(Research Division of Disaster Management for Safe and Secure Society)
- スペクトル分離で求めた震源特性とサイト特性、およびその考察(Research Division of Disaster Management for Safe and Secure Society)
- 平成28年（2016年）熊本地震について（Research Division of Earthquake Disasters: Associate Professor Hiroyuki Goto）
- 2016年熊本地震被害調査速報（Research Division of Earthquake Hazards: Assistant Professor Masumi Yamada）
- 2016年熊本地震に関する情報 (Research Division of Earthquake DisastersStrong Motion Seismology)
- 平成28年（2016年）熊本地震による南阿蘇村における斜面変動の 発生状況（Research Division of Geohazards Associate Professor Yuki Matsushi）
- 平成28年（2016年）熊本地震による南阿蘇村における斜面変動の発生状況 第2報 （Research Division of Geohazards Associate Professor Yuki Matsushi）
- 平成28年（2016年）熊本地震による斜面災害に関する調査報告（Research Center on Landslides）
- 2016年4月16日 熊本県の地震（Research Division of Earthquake Hazards: Assistant Professor Masumi Yamada）
- 2016年4月14日 熊本県の地震（Research Division of Earthquake Hazards: Assistant Professor Masumi Yamada）
Cyclone Pam damages 2015
Pam formed on March 6,2015 east of the Solomon Islands and tracked slowly in a generally southward direction, slowly intensifying as it did so. Two days later, the disturbance reached tropical cyclone intensity and, over subsequent days, Pam gradually strengthened before reaching Category 5 cyclone status on both the Australian and Saffir–Simpson scales on March 12. The next day, Pam’s sustained winds peaked at 250 km/h (155 mph) as the storm moved through Vanuatu, passing near several constituent islands and making direct hits on others.
Earthquake in northern part of Nagano Prefecture, November 22, 2014
A strong earthquake (magnitude-6.7) hit northern parts of Nagano Prefecture at 10:08 p.m., November 22. DPRI updates prompt report on the field survey and research results.
Landslides in Hiroshima, August 20, 2014
Destructive landslides hit Hiroshima Asa-Kita/Minami Ward on August 20, triggered by localized torrential rains. DPRI updates prompt report on the field survey and research results.
- 2014年広島豪雨災害時の斜面崩壊・土石流について(速報その4： 崩壊の発生密度と地質条件・降雨条件))【Associate Professor Yuki MATSUSHI, Research Division of Geohazards, Mountain Hazards Section】
- 2014年広島豪雨災害時の斜面崩壊・土石流について(速報その3： 崩壊の発生密度と地質条件・降雨条件))【Associate Professor Yuki MATSUSHI, Research Division of Geohazards, Mountain Hazards Section】
- 2014年広島豪雨災害時の斜面崩壊・土石流について(速報その2： 崩壊の発生密度と地質条件・降雨条件))【Associate Professor Yuki MATSUSHI, Research Division of Geohazards, Mountain Hazards Section】
- 2014年広島豪雨災害時の斜面崩壊・土石流について(速報その1： 崩壊の発生密度と地質条件・降雨条件))【Associate Professor Yuki MATSUSHI, Research Division of Geohazards, Mountain Hazards Section】
Debris flows in Nagiso, Nagano July 9, 2014
Debris flows occurred in Nagiso, Nagano Prefecture, triggered by torrential rain resulting from Typhoon No. 8. DPRI updates prompt report on the field survey and research results.
- 2014年7月9日南木曽の土砂崩れの発生時刻推定 【Research Division of Earthquake Hazards, Earthquake Source Mechanisms, Assistant Professor Masumi YAMADA】
- 2014 年 7 月長野県南木曽土石流災害調査速報 【Research Center for Fluvial and Coastal Disasters, Sedimentation Disasters 】
- 2014 年 7 月 9 日長野県木曽郡南木曽町における土石流による震動記録 【Research Center on Landslides】
- 2014年7月9日南木曽土石流災害速報 【Research Division of Geohazards, Mountain Hazards, Associate Professor Yuki MATSUSHI】
The landslide in Oso, WA, on March 22, 2014
On March 22, 2014, a massive landslide occured near Oso, Washington, US due to the heavy rainfall over the past month. DPRI updates prompt report and research results.
Philippines typhoon disaster by Haiyan, Nov. 2013
Typhoon Haiyan (T2013-No.30) was extremely intense and gave huge impact on Philippines and neighbor countries.
Landslides on Izu Oshima Island, triggered by the Typhoon No. 26, Oct. 16, 2013
Landslides occured on Izu Oshima Island, triggered by the Typhoon No. 26, in Oct. 16, 2013.
- 伊豆大島土砂災害現地踏査速報 【Hiroshi Fukuoka, Research Center on Landslides】
- 伊豆大島における斜面崩壊に関する緊急調査報告（その２）【Research Center on Landslides, NDRC survey team】
- 伊豆大島における斜面崩壊に関する緊急調査報告（その３）-2013/10/16 伊豆大島の斜面崩壊に伴う震動- 【Research Center on Landslides】
- 伊豆大島豪雨災害調査速報 【Research Center for Fluvial and Coastal Disasters, Sedimentation Disasters Research Section】
- 伊豆大島豪雨災害調査(防災研究所・自然災害研究協議会の初動調査)【Research Division of Geohazards, Slope Conservation Research Section】
Heavy Rains Hit Kinki Region on Aug. 14, 2012
Torrential rains struck Kinki region early on Aug. 14 and brought severe damage.
- Prompt Report on the Flood Damage in Uji, August 2012（Research Center for Fluvial and Coastal Disasters）
- Damage by Heavy Rain in Uji City, August 14, 2012（Geohazards Division, Geotechnics Section）
- Prompt Report on Heavy Rain in Kinki Region, August 2012（Geohazards Division, Mountain Hazards Section）
- Flood in the Urban/Residential Area of Uji City and Sediment Disaster（Issued on August 15, Research Center on Landslides）
- Report on Damage by Heavy Rain in Uji City, August 14, 2012
Off the west coast of northern Sumatra earthquake on April 11, 2012
The magnitude 8.6 (USGS) earthquake hit off the west coast of northern Sumatra at 2:38 p.m. (local time) on April 11, 2012.
2011 North Thailand floods field survey
The long-term continuous rainfall over North Thailand caused serious river floods and sediment disasters. DPRI conducts the field survey and updates the report.
The typhoon No.12, 2011
The 12th typhoon, 2011 and the heavy rain caused many disasters as flood, debris flow, landslide and collapse all over Kii Peninsula (Nara, Wakayama and Mie pref.) and the damages to the residents are enormous.
Tohoku – Pacific Ocean Earthquake, 2011
At 14:46 local time on March 11, 2011, a magnitude 9.0 (revised value by Japan Meteorology Agency on March 13) earthquake occurred off the coast of northeast Japan. DPRI continuously updates this site’s research information and analyses on the disaster.
Strong Ground Motions of the 2011 Christchurch Earthquake
Christchurch earthquake（Mw6.3） occured in Christchurch of New Zealand on February 21, 2011.
Chile earthquake on February 27, 2010
The 8.8-magnitude (USGS) earthquake hit Chile at 15:34 p.m. (3:34 a.m. local time) on February 27, 2010.
2009 Sumatra Earthquake
The September 2009 Sumatra Earthquake (Mw 7.5) occured off the western coast of Sumatra island, Indonesia, on 30, September 2009.
2008 Eastern Sichuan Earthquake
This is Information of the strong motion station in Sichuan Province on May 12, 2008.
The 2007 Niigata-ken Chuetsu-oki Earthquake
In the morning on 16th, July, 2007, the Niigataken Chuetsu-oki earthquake (Mw 6.6) attacked Hokuriku district, middle northern part of Japan.
- 平成19年新潟県中越沖地震ウェブアーカイビング【Research Center for Disaster Reduction System】
- The Niigataken Chuetsu-oki Earthquake in 2007【Dynamics of Foundation Structures 】
- 2007年新潟県中越沖地震に関する情報【Division of Earthquake Disaster Prevention】
- 新潟県中越沖地震被害調査速報【Division of Earthquake Hazards】
- 中越沖地震柿崎漁港被害状況（2007年7月17日）【Division of Atmospheric and Hydrosperic Disasters】
The Noto Hanto Earthquake in 2007
The magnitude 6.9 (JMA scale) earthquake struck Hokuriku District of main island Japan on 26 March, 2007.