The Disaster Prevention Research Institute (DPRI), Kyoto University invites applications for a permanent Professor position.
Location: Research Division of Atmospheric and Hydrospheric Disasters, Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan.
Job description and required qualifications:
The appointed professor is required to conduct studies relevant to the mitigation of wind-related structural damage, such as elucidating mechanisms for the damage from a wind engineering viewpoint with the use of wind-tunnel experiments, risk assessment, and reliability engineering. The candidate is also required to conduct wind-disaster prevention research related to risk management and decision making. In addition, the candidate is expected to advance new areas in the fields of wind engineering and reliability engineering through leading domestic and international research groups. In terms of education, the candidate will have responsibility for education in Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Kyoto University. The candidate must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent degree and be proficient in Japanese.
Anticipated start date: As soon as possible after April 1st, 2024.
Probation period: 6 months
Working time: Discretionary labor system (standard working hours: 7 hours 45 minutes per day, 38 hours 45 minutes per week)Days off: Saturdays, Sundays, Statutory holidays under the Act on National Holidays, Year-end and New Year’s holidays, and Anniversary of Foundation of the University.
Salary and Allowance: To be determined in accordance with Kyoto University regulations.
Social insurance: (1) National Public Service Mutual Aid Associations, (2) Employee’s pension insurance, (3) Unemployment insurance, and (4) Worker’s accident insurance
Applicants should prepare the following materials:
(1) Curriculum vitae
(2) List of publications (divided clearly into refereed journal papers and others)
(3) Copies of five relevant papers
(4) Brief summary of research and related contributions (up to four A4 pages)
(5) Statement of research plans (up to two A4 pages, including figures)
(6) Recommendation letter(s) or names and contact information of two references (include addresses, fax numbers, and e-mail addresses)
The complete application package must arrive by the deadline of 17:00 JST, September 22th, 2023 at the following address:
Selection Committee for Wind Engineering and Wind Resistant Structures Professor
Administrative Office, Uji Campus,
Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011 JAPAN
Applicants must send the package by registered mail or direct submission. Applicants are not allowed to submit it by e-mail or through internet.
For inquiries, you can send e-mail to apply_staff ‘at’ dpri.kyoto-u.ac.jp (replace ‘at’ with @)
For more information about DPRI, see https://www.dpri.kyoto-u.ac.jp/en/.
(1) The university will not return your application documents.
Personal information contained in the application documents will be used solely for the purpose of screening applicants and never for any other purposes.
(2) Kyoto University is building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications regardless of gender or disability.
The university is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer．
(3) Performance during maternity/childcare leave will be considered equivalent to performance before and after the leave period.
(4) The university prohibits smoking in all campus buildings except in designated outside smoking areas for the purpose of preventing the adverse health effects of second-hand smoke.