The Disaster Prevention Research Institute (DPRI), Kyoto University invites applications for a permanent Associate Professor position.
Location: Research Center for Disaster Reduction Systems(DRS), Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan.
Job description and required qualifications:
The appointed associate professor is required to conduct research on disaster prevention and mitigation aimed at effective countermeasures against coming large-scale disasters, such as the Nankai Trough earthquake and floods and sediment disasters that are becoming more widespread and massive due to the effects of climate change. In particular, the candidate is expected to promote research on integrated disaster risk management from a long-term perspective, from pre-disaster to emergency and recovery/reconstruction phases, not only from a theoretical perspective but also from a implementation science perspective. As part of Kyoto University promotion of gender equality, this position is only open to female applicants. In addition, the candidate will have responsibility for education in the Department of Urban Management, Kyoto University. The candidate must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent degree and be proficient in Japanese.
Anticipated start date: As soon as possible after the selection.
Probation period: 6 months
Working time: Discretionary labor system (standard working hours: 7 hours 45 minutes per day, 38 hours 45 minutes per week)Days off: Saturdays, Sundays, Statutory holidays under the Act on National Holidays, Year-end and New Year’s holidays, and Anniversary of Foundation of the University.
Salary and Allowance: To be determined in accordance with Kyoto University regulations.
Social insurance: (1) National Public Service Mutual Aid Associations, (2) Employee’s pension insurance, (3) Unemployment insurance, and (4) Worker’s accident insurance
Applicants should prepare the following materials:
(1) Curriculum vitae
(2) List of publications (divided clearly into refereed journal papers and others)
(3) Copies of five relevant papers
(4) Brief summary of research and related contributions (up to two A4 pages)
(5) Statement of research plans (up to two A4 pages, including figures)
(6) Recommendation letter(s) or names and contact information of two references (include addresses, fax numbers, and e-mail addresses)
The complete application package must arrive by the deadline of 17:00 JST, September 22nd, 2023 at the following address:
Selection Committee for DRS Associate Professor
Administrative Office, Uji Campus,
Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011 JAPAN
Applicants must send the package by registered mail or direct submission. Applicants are not allowed to submit it by e-mail or through internet.
For inquiries, you can send e-mail to apply_staff ‘at’ dpri.kyoto-u.ac.jp (replace ‘at’ with @)
For more information about DPRI, see https://www.dpri.kyoto-u.ac.jp/en/.
(1) The university will not return your application documents. Personal information contained in the application documents will be used solely for the purpose of screening applicants and never for any other purposes.
(2) Kyoto University is building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications regardless of gender or disability. The university is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. As part of the university’s efforts to promote gender equality, it will implement women-only recruitment, in accordance with Article 8 of the Act on Securing, Etc., of Equal Opportunity and Treatment between Men and Women in Employment.
(3) Performance during maternity/childcare leave will be considered equivalent to performance before and after the leave period.
(4)The university prohibits smoking in all campus buildings except in designated outside smoking areas for the purpose of preventing the adverse health effects of second-hand smoke.