【English】Details of the Job Openings
The Disaster Prevention Research Institute (DPRI), Kyoto University invites applications for a permanent Professor position.
Location: Research Center for Earthquake Hazards, Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan.
Job description and required qualifications:
The appointed professor is required to promote research on crustal deformation, strain accumulation processes, and earthquake generating processes in terrestrial and marine areas, based primarily on observations using space geodetic methods. In particular, the candidate is expected to conduct research that contributes to the geodetic evaluation of earthquake occurrence potential by estimating the distribution of interplate coupling and the characteristics of slow slip events in the Nankai Trough subduction zone and by characterizing the strain concentration zones in Western Japan with GNSS data from permanent and temporary stations. In addition, the candidate will have responsibility for education in the Division of Earth and Planetary Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University. The candidate must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent degree and be proficient in Japanese.
Anticipated start date: As soon as possible after the selection.
Probation period: 6 months
Working time: Discretionary labor system (standard working hours: 7 hours 45 minutes per day, 38 hours 45 minutes per week)
Days off: Saturdays, Sundays, Statutory holidays under the Act on National Holidays, Year-end and New Year’s holidays, Anniversary of Foundation of the University, and summer holidays.
Salary and Allowance: To be determined in accordance with Kyoto University regulations.
Social insurance: (1) National Public Service Mutual Aid Associations, (2) Employee’s pension insurance, (3) Unemployment insurance, and (4) Worker’s accident insurance
Applicants should prepare the following materials:
(1) Curriculum vitae
(2) List of publications (divided clearly into refereed journal papers and others)
(3) Copies of five relevant papers
(4) Brief summary of research and related contributions (up to two A4 pages)
(5) Statement of research plans (up to two A4 pages, including figures)
(6) Recommendation letter(s) or names and contact information of two references (include addresses, fax numbers, and e-mail addresses)
The complete application package must arrive by the deadline of 17:00 JST, December 19th, 2022 at the following address:
Selection Committee for Space Geodesy Professor
Administrative Office, Uji Campus,
Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011 JAPAN
Applicants must send the package by registered mail or direct submission. Applicants are not allowed to submit it by e-mail or through internet.
For inquiries, you can send e-mail to apply_staff ‘at’ dpri.kyoto-u.ac.jp (replace ‘at’ with @)
For more information about DPRI, see https://www.dpri.kyoto-u.ac.jp/en/.
(1) The university will not return your application documents.
Personal information contained in the application documents will be used solely for the purpose of screening applicants and never for any other purposes.
(2) Kyoto University is building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications regardless of gender or disability. The university is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer．
(3) Performance during maternity/childcare leave will be considered equivalent to performance before and after the leave period.
(4) The university prohibits smoking in all campus buildings except in designated outside smoking areas for the purpose of preventing the adverse health effects of second-hand smoke.