1) DPRI will enhance international cooperative research on natural disasters, as well as cooperative research in Japan, through the Joint Usage/Research Center for natural disaster reduction research, as designated by MEXT (Japanese Government). This work will be done through the use of research facilities of DPRI, development of data bases for natural disaster information, such as the Natural Disaster Resource Data (SAIGAI), and organizing reconnaissance teams for natural disaster events.
2) DPRI will pursue the principles of natural hazard reduction through basic research focusing on the changes of modern natural disasters associated with the evolution of the natural environment and human society.
3) DPRI will promote practical research for disaster reduction to meet the urgent needs of society, by integrating various research fields related to disaster reduction.
1) DPRI welcomes young researchers and students from overseas, as well as Japanese students, in order to meet the high demand of research and educational needs for disaster reduction around the world.
2) DPRI will foster researchers of the next generation, by conducting seminars and preparing educational materials as this will be done through the Joint Usage/Research Center for natural disaster reduction research and with the cooperation of other related organizations in Japan and around the world.
3) DPRI will promote education for regional disaster mitigation planners at the working-level, as well as young researchers, through collaborations of the cooperative studies in the Joint Usage/Research Center.
1) DPRI will transfer research results and specialized knowledge regarding disasters and disaster reduction to society, and help people understand disaster reduction methods. DPRI will also provide disaster reduction strategies to national and local governments.
2) DPRI will promote international cooperative research and education by establishment of a world leading Joint Usage/Research Center.
1) DPRI will strengthen the function of the Joint Usage/Research Center by providing well-organized support and evaluation for schedules , research and education.